[QA/QC Manager] Quality Assurance Diretor
[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Aerospace Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
System One is looking for an experience Quality Assurance professional for a telescope development project.
This exciting job opportunity is with the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) project HQ located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT, which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2027.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The GMT Quality Assurance Officer will be responsible for implementing a robust Quality Assurance (QA) program for the GMT project that includes implementing a comprehensive Quality Management System (QMS), quality control and inspection, non-conformance tracking and assessment; risk analysis and assessment, and problem/failure reporting. The QA program will cover all aspects of the GMT Observatory, including optical and structural elements; electronic parts; software; opto-mechanical assemblies; drives, bearings, mechanisms, and other moving parts; and contamination control. The scope of the work involves developing the quality assurance requirements and plans and overseeing their implementation across the GMT team, including partners, subcontractors and suppliers.
The Quality Assurance Officer will work closely with the GMT Safety Manager to ensure the reliable and safe construction and operation of the GMT Observatory.
This position will require both domestic and international travel to various locations where work is being performed, including the Observatory site in Chile.
• Plan, develop and implement the GMT Quality Assurance Plan, tailored appropriately to the needs of the project.
• Implementation of a comprehensive Quality Management System following industry best practices and conforming to an ISO9001 standard.
• Ensure all aspects of product quality assurance by developing and monitoring adherence to technical, process, materials, and testing standards, as well as best practices.
• Provide management oversight and audits of subcontractors and suppliers to determine compliance with appropriate standards, regulations, and best practices.
• Develop and implement a problem reporting and waiver system tailored to the needs of the project.
• Work with construction management and project management professionals to develop and implement independent certified inspection procedures for the civil construction of the GMT Observatory.
• Participate in design reviews to address quality assurance aspects.
• Support project management in assessing, managing, and mitigating risk throughout the project life cycle, and supporting the implementation of project risk management plans.
• Evaluate subcontractor and supplier QA and manufacturing plans during selection processes.
• Negotiate with the project manager the appropriate resources and managing the effort within that budget.
• Report, on a regular basis, tracking metrics and other data to assess performance of the Quality Assurance program, including budget and schedule performance.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree in Quality Management or Quality Assurance or related discipline.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience with quality and reliability practices for large and/or complex projects.
• Knowledge of product assurance standards, regulations, and best practices.
• Experience with nonconformance processes including material review boards, failure review boards, problem/failure reports, and audits.
• Previous experience with quality management standards such as ISO 9000/9001 for hardware and software.
• Previous experience working in an engineering environment and interfacing with highly technical teams.
• Experience at performing/managing multiple tasks concurrently and resolving conflicts.
• Demonstrated technical, leadership, interpersonal skills and comfortable working with all levels of a team-oriented technical organization.
• Prior experience developing budgets, tracking costs and working with financial systems and tools.
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and standards.
• Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Capable of accepting overall accountability for cost, schedule, and technical performance of the Quality Assurance program.
• Flexibility to work outside of core business hour and travel to GMTO member location, vendor premises and the GMT site in Chile when necessary to accomplish goals. Ability to work at an altitude of 8000 feet for extended periods.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A Master’s degree in Quality Management or Quality Assurance or related discipline required with a minimum of 7 years of professional experience with quality and reliability practices with large and/or complex projects exceeding $100 million in capital costs
• Previous experience developing training programs on quality assurance/quality control topics
• Ability to speak and read Spanish
If your skills and experience appear to be a match or if we need additional information to make a decision, we will contact you. If we do not see a suitable match between your qualifications and the position, we will keep your information on file in the event future positions become available that are more suitable to your qualifications.