[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Aerospace Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Post Number: 533253
Posted By: System One
Posted On: 2019-08-18 00:04:01
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [QA/QC Manager] Product Assurance and RAM Officer
Country: United States
System One is looking for an experienced quality professional for telescope development project.
This exciting job opportunity is with the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) project HQ located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT, which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2027.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The GMT Product Assurance and RAM Officer will be responsible for implementing a robust Assurance program for the GMT project, including reliability, availability, and maintainability (RAM) engineering, quality control and inspection, non-conformance tracking and assessment; risk analysis and assessment, and problem/failure reporting. The Assurance program will cover all aspects of the GMT Observatory, include optical and structural elements; electronic parts; software; opto-mechanical assemblies; drives, bearings, mechanisms, and other moving parts; and contamination control. The scope of the work includes developing the assurance and RAM requirements and plans and overseeing their implementation across the GMT team, including partners, subcontractors and suppliers.
The Product Assurance and RAM Officer will work closely with the GMT Safety Manager to ensure the reliable and safe construction and operation of the GMT Observatory.
This position will require both domestic and international travel to various locations where work is being performed, including the Observatory site in Chile.
• Plan, develop and implement the GMT Product Assurance and RAM plan, tailored appropriately to the needs of the project
• Ensure all aspects of product assurance as well as materials and equipment reliability, availability, and maintainability (RAM) by developing and monitoring adherence to technical, process, materials, and testing standards, as well as best practices
• Provide management oversight and audits of subcontractors and suppliers to determine compliance with appropriate standards, regulations, and best practices
• Organize appropriate training for GMTO engineering staff, including methodologies for Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA); fault tree analysis; and related methodologies
• Develop and implement a problem reporting and waiver system tailored to the needs of the project
• Verify that system-level reliability products, e.g., FMECAs, Red Flag Problem/Failure Reports, waivers, risk analyses and risk ratings, etc., are properly developed
• Work with construction management and project management professionals to develop and implement independent certified inspection procedures for the civil construction of the GMT Observatory
• Participate in design reviews to address quality and reliability assurance aspects
• Support project management in assessing, managing, and mitigating risk throughout the project life cycle, and supporting the implementation of project risk management plans
• Evaluate subcontractor and supplier QA and manufacturing plans during subcontractor and supplier selection processes
• Negotiate with the project manager the appropriate resources, and manage the effort within that budget
• Report and track metrics and other data to assess performance of the Assurance program, including budget and schedule performance, on a regular basis
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Quality Management or Quality Assurance or related discipline required and a minimum of 5 years of professional experience with quality and reliability practices for large and/or complex projects, or a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline with a minimum of 7 years of professional experience working in quality and reliability assurance for large and/or complex projects.
• Knowledge of product assurance standards, regulations, and best practices.
• Knowledge of reliability assurance techniques such as FMECA, fault tree analysis, and other methodologies related to quality, integrity, and reliability assurance.
• Experience with nonconformance processes including material review boards, failure review boards, problem/failure reports, and audits.
• Previous experience with quality management standards such as ISO 9000/9001 for hardware and software.
• Previous experience working in an engineering environment and interfacing with highly technical teams.
• Experience at performing/managing multiple tasks concurrently and resolving conflicts.
• Demonstrated technical, leadership, interpersonal skills and comfortable working with all levels of a team-oriented technical organization.
• Prior experience developing budgets, tracking costs and working with financial systems and tools.
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and standards.
• Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Capable of accepting overall accountability for cost, schedule, and technical performance of the Project Assurance program.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A Master’s degree in Quality Management or Quality Assurance or related discipline required with a minimum of 7 years of professional experience with quality and reliability practices with large and/or complex projects exceeding $100 million in capital costs
• Previous experience developing training programs on quality assurance/quality control topics
• Ability to speak and read Spanish
If your skills and experience appear to be a match or if we need additional information to make a decision, we will contact you. If we do not see a suitable match between your qualifications and the position, we will keep your information on file in the event future positions become available that are more suitable to your qualifications.
Thinking about applying for this position?
Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements indicated for the job before you apply (see user agreement). If you are qualified, then use either the email link (near top of post) or the application link (near bottom of post) to apply, whichever is provided.
35 page view(s)