[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs General Construction Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Welder Job Description
Welder- Preferred minimum of 6 months documented field experience in chosen craft discipline. Must have the ability to read and interpret instructions and documentation. The level and degree of job responsibilities and requirements vary depending on months of experience and assigned. Helpers primarily assist in these activities.
JOURNEYMAN WELDER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Selects type and size of pipe or other related materials and equipment according to specifications.
- Selects equipment and plans layouts, assembly, and welding, applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal machining, weld shrinkage and welding techniques.
- May be required to use Gas-Metal Arc, Flux-Cored Arc, Gas-Tungsten Arc, Submerged Arc, or Shielded Metal Arc welding processes.
- Lays out, positions, aligns and fits components together in various body positions.
- Bolts, clamps and welds together metal components of products such as piping systems, plate, pipe and tube or structural shapes, using arc and arc gas welding equipment. May weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead position. May tack weld assemblies together.
- Connects cable from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage, slope and pulse as specified by procedure or supervisor.
- Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable welding gun.
- Starts power supply to produce electric current.
- Strikes arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from electrode to work piece and join edges of work piece.
- Manually guides electrode or gun along weld-line, maintaining length of arc and speed and movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and size of molten puddle.
- May manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal. May clean or degrease weld joint or workplace, using wire brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath. May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes. May remove excess weld, defective weld material, slag and spatter, using carbon arc gouge, hand scrapper, grinder or power chipper. May preheat work piece, using hand torch or heating furnace. May cut metal plates or structural shapes.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Loads, transports and unloads material, tools, equipment and supplies.
- May assist in lifting, positioning and securing of materials and work pieces during installation.
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities of tools and equipment.
- Assists other mechanics as needed.
- Respiratory protection is common and may be required.
- Required to pass employer performance tests or standard tests to meet certification standards. Performs only procedures certified in.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules. Performs other duties as required.
JOURNEYMAN WELDER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Work within precise limits or standards of accuracy.
- Make decisions based on measurable criteria.
- Apply basic mathematics to solve problems.
- Plan work and select proper tools.
- Visualize objects in three dimensions from plans and drawings.
- Compare and see differences in the size, shape and form of lines, figures and objects.
Welder Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
JOURNEYMAN WELDER QUALIFICATIONS:
May require a high school diploma or its equivalent with previous years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.