[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs General Construction Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
The Namchak Foundation promotes the growth, study, and practices of the Namchak lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. While preserving the essence of those practices, we offer them in a more modern, Western, accessible style, that does not require one to be a Buddhist. Offering a variety of learning programs and a residential retreat (under development), the Foundation serves students on every step of the path; from those exploring meditation for the first time, to more experienced practitioners. The unifying feature among the staff is the deep dedication to making this lineage’s time-tested, lab-tested tools available for anyone to use, to help everyone live a more satisfying, awakened life.
The Project -- Residential Retreat Ranch: With great investment in the careful stewardship of the land, a unique teaching and practice facility is under development on 8,900 acres in picturesque Lake County, Montana. The Namchak Retreat Ranch will feature a large temple along with smaller practice facilities and dormitories for up to 130 students. In addition to various retreat offerings, a secluded portion of the ranch will be dedicated to three-year retreats. Namchak has been working with Sharon Davis Design as architects and WGM Group as engineers, and envisions project completion within approximately seven years. This Project Director will work closely with the Founder, the Managing Director, and the Executive Committee to drive progress and ensure accountability to the Founder’s Vision for this ambitious legacy endeavor.
Office Location: Namchak’s offices are located in breathtaking and vibrant Missoula, Montana, home to the University of Montana. Missoula has been listed as one of the greatest places to live in the United States, featuring excellent public and private schools, family-friendly amenities, an attractive cost of living, and superior quality of life. Nestled in the Northern Rockies of Montana, between Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks, Missoula is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream, yet also comes with an abundance of restaurants, cafes, coffee houses, art galleries, bookstores, and breweries to fit all budgets and tastes. Thanks to its being a university town, Missoula is a place of small-town values and urban amenities.
The Opportunity and Key Responsibilities
This is an opportunity to build something unique and meaningful to endure the ages. The right person will not only be attracted to the Namchak mission, but also excited by the prospect of managing a wide range of construction aspects -- from infrastructure to accessories -- and driving the endeavor to completion in accordance with the Vision of the Founder.
Chief among the needs, this position calls for a no-nonsense driver of results, yet one who balances the gravitas with humility and is equally skilled at taking direction. While the Founder and Executive Committee will be involved in creative decisions, a seasoned Project Director is needed to shepherd a sophisticated array of stakeholders and drive the endeavor-wide Vision to completion -- on time and on budget.
The Construction Project Director will report to the Managing Director and Executive Committee and requires a person who possesses strong leadership qualities, master facilitation skills, shared values, and patience. We seek a planner and implementer who is calm under pressure, a timely and inclusive/collaborative problem solver, and content to roll up their sleeves. This Project Director will oversee and facilitate coordination among the architects, engineers, vendors, contractors and staff, as they work on various phases of construction for the retreat’s infrastructure development, residential facilities, and temple.
Operationalize Vision and Drive Execution:
- Work closely with the Founder to understand their Vision so that you can keep it as the North Star, and represent it in the various meetings and conversations with stakeholders.
- Collaborate closely with the various stakeholders to clearly convey and manifest the Vision, and address strategic questions, collect input, and seek guidance.
- Take an innovative, eco-friendly and sustainable approach to the construction project while working with the Executive Committee to translate their vision into execution; prioritize environmental sustainability in infrastructure development so as to minimize disruption to the natural environment.
- Oversee all development and construction projects related to retreat facilities, in close partnership with the Executive Committee, related staff, and outside vendors/contractors.
- Collaborate with staff to create a master work plan, budget and timeline, and to ensure deadlines are identified and met while remaining nimble and responding to shifts in priorities.
- Oversee operations and project manage all construction sites through each sequential work phase, with foresight into upcoming phases, maintaining a focus on timely completion and budget compliance consistent with desired aesthetic.
- Anticipate challenges and address them before they become significant problems, such as developing project parameters, resolving inter-agency conflicts, and schedule deconfliction.
- Assist vendors and partners in the development of well-researched and timely presentations with relevant cost estimates. - Follow up on requests and considerations shared by the Executive Committee.
- Manage and conduct on-site construction meetings, photographic record, periodic and final walk throughs, and punch list completions.
- Keep the projects within the budget, not allowing vendors to escalate costs but rather, find ways to minimize costs.
- Establish a transparent flow of communication with the Executive Committee and staff. Convene, attend, and facilitate meetings between vendors, community officials and the Namchak staff as necessary.
- Foster respectful collaboration and accountable productivity, and ensure project staff is adequately supported to perform at the highest level.
- Work closely with the executive team and legal counsel to process, track, and review relevant contracts to ensure they exist and that the construction is in compliance.
- Work closely with the CFO to monitor the project budget and all expenditures authorized by contract with the project's vendors, such as the approval of scoping documents, change orders, and resulting invoices.
- Provide support to the Ranch Management team in meeting associated objectives and resolving challenges.
- Maintain trusted, productive relationships with community and Native American tribal members, local governments, vendors, and contractors associated with the project.
- 10+ years of experience in facilities operations, managing design and construction of multiple large-scale projects and driving them to completion, reasonably on time and within budget.
- 5+ years of executive level managerial experience in a dynamic, multi-stakeholder environment, working closely with the senior leadership team. Relevant experience working with architects, engineers, developers, construction managers, community stakeholders and institutional owners.
- Wide-spectrum construction experience, ranging from infrastructure development to FF&E
- Experience working on capital projects in remote rural locations.
- Demonstrated cost-estimation and budgeting experience, with the ability to make quick decisions, keeping the aesthetic of the project and limited availability of resources in mind.
- Operational leadership track record, strong interconnected systems thinking, and an ability to manage multiple priorities within the set time frame.
- Patience and hands-on leadership that embodies respect, teamwork, and collaboration from a diverse and dedicated staff.
Namchak has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. To apply, please submit a current résumé and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience to attached link. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Namchak is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply. Please refrain from contacting Namchak directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at Namchak@schaffercombs.com.