State: South Carolina
Country: United States
Weirich Consulting is seeking a Fire Protection Engineer
Location: The Savannah River Site
Provide fire protection technical support for the SRS Fire Protection Program and operating facilities on site. Work at the direction of a Technical Lead Engineer and/or Fire Protection Engineering Manager. The duties will include:
1. Work as a Fellow Fire Protection Engineer (FPE) with demonstrated FPE subject matter expertise with industrial and nuclear Fire Protection suppression, alarms and detection requirements.
2. Provide technical direction and guidance in the development and implementation of the Fire Protection Program. As assigned, prepare building fire hazards analysis (FHA) for specific buildings and/or projects.
3. Develop and effectively utilize sound engineering principles and capabilities in the conduct of appropriate fire modeling, fire water and fire flow calculations.
4. Evaluate and develop cost-effective, safe alternative solutions and approaches in problem solving field issues in order to maintain compliance with codes and requirements consistent with safe practices and operations.
5. Develop and implement effective fire protection designs for compliance with fire codes, standards, and regulations.
6. Provide technical support/guidance to facility management and staff on all fire protection related issues including but not limited to installation, inspection, maintenance, and operations of fire protection systems and components.
7. Conduct facility evaluations/assessments for compliance with procedures and fire protection codes and standards, identify deficiencies, recommend corrective actions and provide the necessary technical support to resolve issues. Evaluate alternate means and methods for achieving code compliance.
8. Assist in the identification of consistent fire system inspection and testing program that satisfies the intent of the National Fire Codes, S/RID and DOE requirements.
9. Develop and maintain a working knowledge and understanding of SRNS 2Q “Fire Protection Program Manual”.
Candidates functioning as fire protection engineers shall be graduates of an accredited fire protection engineering curriculum. If not such a graduate, candidate must be a registered professional engineer in fire protection. Master of Science in Fire Protection Engineering degree preferred
1. A minimum of 15 years of experience in Fire Protection Engineering.
2. Familiarity with DOE Orders/Guides and requirements with regards to fire safety.
3. Knowledge of NFPA Codes and Standards.
4. Produce written documents with clearly organized structure and grammar. Ability to operate Windows Microsoft Office applications.
5. Communicate orally with management, facility personnel and DOE Customers regarding fire protection issues
6. Must be able to walk down systems in the field.
7. Have a strong working knowledge of National Fire Protection Association Codes and IBC regulatory requirements, as well as experience. A strong understanding of Fire Protection requirements compliant in DOE Orders (e.g. 420 series and DOE-STD-1066-2012 & 2016) is preferred.
8. Candidate must be capable of becoming SRS Radiological Worker qualified to remain in this position.
9. Previous relevant experience at SRS is preferred.
Area Security Access:
A security clearance is not initially required; however, candidate must be capable of obtaining an “L” or “Q” clearance.
8 page view(s)
Thinking about applying for this position?
Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements indicated for the job before you apply (see user agreement). If you are qualified, then use either the email link (near top of post) or the application link (near bottom of post) to apply, whichever is provided.
Roadtechs.com notice to workers thinking about a career in nuclear power:
All nuclear power plant employees are subject to background, financial and criminal history checks before they are granted access to any nuclear power facility and these checks are repeated at regular intervals. Additionally, new hire drug and alcohol screening is mandatory and all sites perform random drug and alcohol screening.
© Copyright - Roadtechs®, LLC. All rights reserved. No reproduction of any part of this website may be sold or
distributed for commercial gain nor shall it be modified or incorporated in any other work, publication, or website.
Use of this site implies compliance with the Roadtechs User Agreement.