[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
System One has an immediate need for a Cask Engineer in Idaho Falls, ID. This is a long term position supporting our client's Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) and responsible for shipping and storage of various nuclear materials used for research and development activities.
The successful candidate will be the assigned Cognizant System Engineer for Casks MFC. In this role, the engineer will apply engineering knowledge, practice and techniques in support of assigned systems and components and be responsible to ensure continued operational readiness of assigned system and components in support of ongoing research. Technical understanding of the design requirements, system performance criteria, physical configuration, operation, testing, and maintenance of assigned systems and components is key. Functions, qualifications, required and preferred skills of the position are:
1. Perform Cognizant Engineer responsibilities for safety-related casks including; input and review of transport plans, Safety Analysis Reports for Packaging (SARP), and facility Safety Analysis Reports (SAR)
2. Additional cognizant engineer duties includes; commercial grade dedications, interface with design engineering and operations, review/check engineering documents, oversee associated manufacturing activities, and assure assigned systems are configuration managed per standards
3. Shipping configuration types include contact handled and remote handled Casks
4. Provide engineering support in the development of handling techniques and supporting equipment for unique shipping container configurations (both contact handled and remote handled package configurations that get loaded into Casks)
5. Lead, perform and assist with new shipping and storage casks design, development, fabrication, testing, and implementation activities
6. Responsible for engineering support of nuclear material shipments originating from MFC (on and off-site shipments), and shipments originating outside of MFC but received at MFC
7. Ensure reliability of cask systems by defining maintenance condition monitoring needs, developing Preventive Maintenance Justifications (PMJ’s) and Corrective Maintenance actions as needed
8. Coordinate design and maintenance of ancillary shipping equipment including transportation trailers, specialized lifting fixtures, rigging tackle, secondary container (containers in which nuclear materials are directly loaded into prior to being loaded into casks) etc.
9. Work with Packaging and Transportation (P&T) organizations to determine appropriate shipping casks for various nuclear material payloads both on and off-site
10. Interface with receiving entities/facilities (both on and off-site) to ensure compatibly of shipment with receiving facility requirements, including engineering design and documentation for verification of shipment compatibility (geometry, weight, thermal and radiological loading, etc...)
11. Interface with nuclear safety on cask requirements; Technical Safety Requirements (TSR’s), safety significance determinations, defining approved container lists at MFC, and assigning damage ratios for material at risk
12. Work with organizations such as safeguards and security or radiological protection to verify requirements are implemented; Tamper Indicating Device (TID) applications, shielding, confinement, etc...
13. Support operational procedure development, physical operations, and development of lift plans related to Hoisting and Rigging, packaging and shipment activities
14. Support the Operations and Training departments in the development of cask handling practices.
1. Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering
2. 3+ years of experience in mechanical maintenance engineering
3. Ability to design and evaluate mechanical systems
4. Ability to communicate with operations, engineering, nuclear safety. maintenance and programmatic personnel both verbally and through written products
1. Experience performing engineering functions on casks, containers, and/or packaging for nuclear application
2. Experience performing engineering functions with Hoisting and Rigging equipment
3. Professional license in mechanical engineering