[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Contract-to-Hire: Civil/Structural Engineer 3 (Plant Design)
Flexible, Home Office
NOTE: This position will begin as a contract role working remotely with the opportunity to be converted to a full-time employee after approximately 6 months, based on individual performance. Should an offer be made to convert to FTE, work location will also be assessed for continued remote work or require relocation to Corvallis.
• Applies technical knowledge, insight, reasoning, and decision making to perform civil structural design of Nuclear Safety-Related and Non-Safety-Related SSCs.
• Candidates should possess broad knowledge on plant design, requirement management, large and/or complex structures, and construction of reinforced concrete and steel buildings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Uses structural engineering tools and implements appropriate standards to design and review Nuclear Safety-Related and Non-Safety-Related SSCs for various material types (concrete, steel, etc).
• Interacts with other disciplines and structural engineering consultants in an effort to allow effective coordination of design activities and resolution of technical problems. Individuals should possess or acquire general knowledge of principles and practices of related fields in order to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
• Develops requirements documents, design specifications, design reports, and studies.
• Has the ability to oversee suppliers and review technical information (i.e. drawings, reports, specifications, calculations, etc.) to ensure it aligns with statements of work and requirements documents
• Possess strong written and oral communication skills and routinely interacts with contractors and/or regulatory bodies.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
• Education: A minimum of a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited school. A registered professional engineer license (P.E.) is strongly preferred.
• Experience: Minimum of 5 years of nuclear/non-nuclear experience as a Structural Design Engineer, Advance degree may offset some years of experience. Additional required experience in the following areas:
• Concrete, steel, and foundation structural design and analysis.
• Working with the following codes: ACI 349 & 318, ASCE 7, IBC, and AISC N690, Steel Construction Manual and Seismic Design Manual.
• Use of the following software is preferred, but not required: ANSYS, SASSI, SAP2000, plus normal office software.
• Computer programming skills (e.g. Matlab, or Python) is also not required, but preferred.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
• Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
• Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
• Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
• Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
• Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
• Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
• Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
• The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
Empyrean Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other protected status.