[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
EGS Inc is looking for an experienced Structural Engineer to join a team of engineering and design professionals serving in the Nuclear Services & Technology Business Unit. This position requires an individual who works well with other discipline engineers and architects and who is strong in all aspects of structural design for buildings and equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Structural Engineer will work independently under the supervision of a lead engineer performing mid-level engineering design on projects while receiving moderate supervision on unusual or difficult problems and general review of all aspects of work. The individual will apply prescribed techniques and procedures in accordance with established criteria to perform assigned tasks as a part of a broader assignment. The position requires teamwork skills to effectively interact with other Merrick engineers and designers located in Oak Ridge and at remote offices to support the overall structural design demand. Duties and responsibilities will also include:
• Attend project meetings and make presentations on specific aspects of engineering assignments.
• Stay within established schedule as outlined by a lead engineer.
• Coordinate work with other disciplines as necessary and as directed by the lead engineer.
• Read, understand, interpret, and reconcile engineering requirements for designs integrating multiple systems and codes.
• Generate technical reports, calculations, or other similar documents detailing purpose, methodology, results, conclusions, and recommendations pertaining to the addressed engineering problem.
• Critically review the work of other engineers to determine accuracy and completeness.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily while staying within established schedules and budgets. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The candidate must be able to develop structural designs, drawings, calculations, specifications, reports, and other similar design documents and have the following requirements and experience:
• Client projects for this position require US Citizenship.
• Bachelor of Science degree in civil or structural engineering from an ABET accredited program is required; a Master's degree is a plus.
• Professional Engineer license is required, or ability to obtain PE license within a reasonable amount of time.
• Minimum of eight (8) years of experience is required.
• Experience with conventional IBC / ASCE 7 structural design of buildings and other structures for gravity, wind, and seismic loading.
• Experience using conventional structural engineering material design codes such as ACI 318, AISC 360, AISI 100, and TMS 402.
• Experience using finite element analysis software such as RISA 3D, STAAD Pro, and SAP2000
• Experience developing drawings using CAD software such as AutoCAD, Microstation, or Revit
• Experience using engineering calculation software such as MathCAD
• Fluency with Microsoft Office
In addition to the required experience, the following types of experience are preferred:
• Experience with design for Department of Energy governmental facility projects following DOE-STD-1020.
• Experience performing work under a robust quality assurance program such as ASME NQA-1.
• Experience with nuclear analysis and design codes, including ASCE 4, ASCE 43, ACI 349, and AISC N690.
• Requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
• Be able to work in an environment with open discussions and visitors without getting distracted.
• May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• This job operates in a professional office environment and occasional construction site visits.
• Construction site visits require wearing of hard hats, safety glasses, hard toe shoes, and climbing of ladders.
• May be required to travel to other office locations.
• May be required to travel to client facilities or fabrication and manufacturing facilities.
This description is not intended to be a complete statement of every aspect of the position, but rather to act as a guide to the essential functions to be performed. Assigned functions of this job may vary, and other duties and responsibilities may be assigned or changed at the discretion of management.
All candidates must possess:
• US Citizenship
• Ability to pass a pre-employment drug screening test
• Ability to obtain a security clearance if required
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Capability with MS Office Suite
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface with clients, contractors, and consultants on a day-to-day basis.