Contract / Temp to Direct / Direct Hire: Direct Hire
Country: United States
The Protection and Control Service Technician is responsible for performing commissioning and testing activities in the field. As Well as, performing troubleshooting and diagnostic activities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Adaptability: Shows resilience in the face of changing circumstances and shifting priorities; works well under stress and pressure and is not easily discouraged. A great amount of learning is on the job with experienced co-workers and managers, handling criticism is essential to employee growth.
Acumen: Work effectively with company and customer organizational structures and builds alliance with people at all organizational levels. Establishes and prioritizes goals and objectives on a project and personal level. Anticipates the reactions and positions of others
accurately; involves the right people and resources at the right time.
Customer Satisfaction: Builds productive relationships with customers in order to build customer loyalty. Able to identify or anticipate customer needs. Keeps commitments to customers and regularly sets standards to exceed expectations. Encourages and uses customer feedback to improve services. Adheres to customer required policies and procedures.
Critical Thinking: Examines information, facts, and data, and draws logical conclusions from available information. Thinks under pressure and acts prudently concerning the safety of others.
Organizing and Planning: Effectively manages multiple priorities and properly identifies issues requiring immediate attention from those that are less urgent. Submits all required paperwork and time sheets to promote proper project control, customer deliverables, and proper billing.
Dedication: Sets high personal and professional standards; takes the initiative regarding job functions and responsibilities; able to stick to a task or pursue a goal over the long-term.
Communications: Communicates effectively one to one, and in small groups. Employee is able to articulate complex thoughts clearly, effectively and in a professional manner. Provide written reports for customer submittals, and project status for management. Effectively and consistently communicate all scheduling weekly and schedule changes immediately.
Collaboration: Works effectively with others in order to achieve meaningful results and maintains positive working relationships. Actively participates in solving problems, making decisions, completing tasks and accomplishing goals.
Mechanically Inclined: Hands-on and willingly gets “hands dirty” in substation and power plant/manufacturing environments. The ability and desire to understand how a particular unit goes together, how it works and how to troubleshoot. Ability to differentiate between color coded wiring.
1. Develop the skills to provide technical capabilities for installing, adjusting, and troubleshooting relays.
2. Relay and Meter testing with secondary Injection Equipment
3. Develop the ability to tests the following relays; Over current/voltage, Directional, Distance, Impedance, Sync Check, Loss of field, Reverse power, Multi-function relays etc.
4. Be capable to communicate and manage different relay manufacturer Software packages.
5. Reads associated schematics, internal, and external of the relay.
6. Develop the skills to communicates with RTS software.
7. Write Functional Test reports.
8. Remain current on all safety and technical training.
9. Provide technical insight with regard to substation systems and electrical power systems
10. Adhere to all company, industry and client safety protocol and standards.
11. Be proficient in the use of construction equipment, test equipment and tools required for routine maintenance and installation of equipment assigned, such as man lifts, bucket trucks, transformer and breaker testing equipment and relay test equipment without direct supervision and direction.
12. Must demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of both AC and DC applications including the measurements of 3 phase power quantities and the normal control and protective schemes utilized in the industry.
13. Be proficient in the use of other test equipment for testing other Protective Relays devices such as CT’s and PT’s.
14. Assist engineering with relay programming.
15. Assist in writing New Test procedures.
The position is considered to have light physical demands that require the incumbent to communicate orally, hear at a conversational level and perform job tasks requiring the use of a telephone, fax, and computer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to perform keying functions, grasp and pinch to write. The employee will frequently (34-66% of the workday) be required to sit, walk and stand. Occasionally (6-33% of the workday), the employee will be required to bend, twist/turn, reach out, lift/carry and push and pull. The employee infrequently (2-5% of the workday) will be required to squat/kneel and climb. The employee is required to infrequently (2-5% of the workday) lift and carry up to 21-50 pounds and will frequently (34-66% of the workday) be required to lift and carry 50 pounds up to 100 yards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly subject to various job site environments. The flooring is mostly concrete, tile or wood. The temperatures at the customer locations can vary between 20-100 degrees. The use of safety equipment can include safety shoes and glasses, hard hat and other job specific personal protective equipment. The noise level of the work environment can vary from low to high (requiring hearing protection). Travel requirements will make it necessary to drive a car (day and/or night) and at times travel by air. This position can require up to 80% travel – particularly where the element of the on-site training is involved.
1. Experience: 3-5 years related experience in Substation, Power Plants, Industrial Services, primary power distribution and related protection and control schemes.
2. Reasoning Development: Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
3. Mathematical Development: Ability to add, subtract, and divide all units of measure. Able to perform computations involving power.
4. Language Development: Ability to read company manuals and reports, workplace rules and procedures; speak with poise and confidence, using correct English. Ability to read and understand Technical information related to relays preferred.
5. Licensures and Certifications: SEL, AVO and OEM Certified, NETA or NICET Preferred.
6. Education: EET, Technical school preferred.
87 page view(s)
Thinking about applying for this position?
Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements indicated for the job before you apply (see user agreement). If you are qualified, then use either the email link (near top of post) or the application link (near bottom of post) to apply, whichever is provided.
© Copyright - Roadtechs®, LLC. All rights reserved. No reproduction of any part of this website may be sold or
distributed for commercial gain nor shall it be modified or incorporated in any other work, publication, or website.
Use of this site implies compliance with the Roadtechs User Agreement.