[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Electric Transmission and Distribution Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Protection & Controls Engineering falls within Transmission and is responsible for the design of control equipment that detects abnormal conditions on the electric system. Protective relays, located in substations, control breakers for automatic switching to isolate faulted equipment without disturbing other normally operating portions of the electric system. This department develops controls designs/schematics and calculates specific system relay settings for the substation equipment
- Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity in both inside as well as outside the scope of typical responsibility.
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities; decisions may affect the operations or results of the department and may have some impact on major projects or department results.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
- Conducts engineering and related studies; completes non-routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with the ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems.
- Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies necessary to handle assignments of increasing complexity.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering (or relevant engineering field) from an ABET accredited program
- Passed Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Utility or protective relaying experience
- Demonstrates the ability to work with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in principles of project management
- Proficient in engineering theories and principles
- Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations