[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Aerospace Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Four years commercial/naval experience as a First Class Machinist.
Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
Installation of hull inserts.
Familiarity with fasteners
Ability to comprehend complex drawings, blueprints, diagrams, and sketches.
Use of lapping and blue checking tools. Liner sizes/soft foot
Working knowledge of shipbuilding terms and nomenclature.
Valve overhaul (steam and wog)
AC & refrigeration repair.
Installation of lift check valve.
Steam plant cleanliness knowledge
Air conditioning hydro.
Installation of main engine, propulsion plant machinery and equipment.
System cleanliness grade knowledge.
Installation of aircraft elevator.
Testing main engine.
Installation of anchor windlass.
Installation of mast and antenna.
Lube oil flushing.
Installation of arresting gear.
Installation of noise equipment.
Installation of ballast tanks.
Test boiler operations.
Hydrostatic testing of systems.
Install boiler tube replacement.
Installation of sea valves.
Operate boring bar.
Installation of VALVE AND PUMP packing.
Operate cargo crane.
Operate portable milling/drill machine.
Generator and steam turbine work.
Pump/motor INSTALLATION AND alignment (M-179 & JX).
Operate centrifugal pump.
Fit and blue check liners.
Installation of condenser/heat exchanger tube.
Operate watertight compartment.
Installation of deck ordinance.
Installation of winch.
Installation of steam valves.
Installation of diesel.
Installation of weapons elevator.
Shafting and bearing work
Distilling plant test.
Installation of hydraulic components.
Installation of low/high pressure air compressor.
Installation of deck or hanger doors.
Understanding of basic ship systems
Required Safety Training / Qualifications:
Leased Labor Provider Company (LLPC) shall provide employees who have completed the following safety training and /or medical clearance. Leased Labor Provider Company shall provide documentation (copy of training, records, medical clearances, etc.) on Company Letterhead to Newport News Environmental, Health and Safety Department (O27) for review and approval prior to assignment of employees to work at Newport News.
All Personal Protective Equipment (PPE*) is to be provided by the Leased Labor Provider Company. All Personal Protective Equipment provided by the Leased Labor Provider Company shall meet the requirements of OSHA and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and /or as specified by Newport News.
1. Confined space trained in accordance with OSHA Standards 29 CFR 1915 Subpart B.
2. Hazard communication trained in accordance with OSHA Standard 29CFR 1915.1200 (1910.1200) (h) – (1) through (3) (iv).
3. Respirator trained and qualified. A Respirator Medical Clearance Examination as required by a Physician. The Respirator Training and Fit Testing will meet the requirements of Standard 29CFR1910.134 and each individual shall be trained in a negative-pressure type respirator, MSA COMFO CLASSIC (with MSA approved vapors and dust filter cartridges to be provided for them respirators by the LLPC). Newport News requires the use of a MSA COMFO CLASSIC Respirator only (approximate weight 12 oz.). Daily use of respirator may occur.
4. Fall Protection/4-D Body Harness-Vertical & Horizontal Lifelines-Beam Clamp trained and qualified in accordance with the following OSHA Regulations; 29CFR1915.159, 29CFR1915.71 (j) (3), 29CFR1915.73 (d), and 29CFR1915.77 (c). Newport News highly recommends the vest-donning type of body harness instead of the step-into-type body harness, with D-Ring in the back. Individuals must be trained (which includes having donned the body harness and demonstrated practical use of the vertical & horizontal lifelines and beam clamp) with the same type fall protection equipment that they are expected to wear on Newport News premises or on off-site Newport News work locations. Body Harness and Vertical & Horizontal Lifelines and Beam Clamps Systems shall comply with the requirements of ANSI Z359.1.
5. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE*) training in accordance with OSHA Standards 29CFR 1915 Subpart I and Hearing Conversation 29CFT 1910.95 (i) (j) (k) (l).
6. Non-prescription and prescription safety glasses must be of the type approved by Newport News and on the Newport News selection chart. A copy Newport News’ approved eyewear chart will be provided to the Leased Labor Provider Company upon request.
7. Hard Hats must be WHITE in color with the Leased Labor Provider Company’s name and the individual's last name on the front of the hard hat. All Leased Labor personnel engaged in Welding must wear either the Fiber Metal Type 1 Class C or the MSA Skullgard Class A Hard Hat only.
8. Hearing protection must be of the muff type (banded or mounted) and must have been trained on their use. Newport News uses the Bilsom Leightning (model L1N).
9. Audiometric testing which documents proof of individual worker’s hearing function. The Leased Labor Provider Company shall ensure those individuals performing audiometric testing meet requirements listed in OSHA Regulation 29CFR1910.95 (g) (3) and that the audiometric test results are fully explained to each individual by the testing firm. The individual shall sign the test reports as proof of having received verbal communication of the test results.
10. The physical work effort expected is demanding. The temperature and humidity extremes that may be encountered are the result of ambient temperature and humidity levels in the work area.
11. Cut resistant gloves (good industrial quality type).
* PPE training means general requirements, eye and face protection, head protection, foot protection, hand and body protection, hearing protection and body harness-personal fall arrest systems (PFAS) and position device systems.
Job ID: 8485383