Maintenance Technician II (Job Nbr: 2148)
[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs General Construction Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN II
General Description. This position is for a highway maintenance technician with 0 - 3 years of skilled labor experience within the highway maintenance field. The Maintenance Technician will be responsible for highway maintenance work requiring knowledge of VDOT standards and specifications. This position will most likely be assigned to a crew to complete daily work orders along the highway. Areas of work will include snow and ice, guardrail and attenuator repair/replacement, signs, lighting/electrical work, mowing, tree trimming, incident response, drainage cleaning, debris removal, and asphalt/concrete repairs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- various parts of roadway, bridge, drainage structures and other road furniture,
- types of damage sustained by highway infrastructure due to mechanical wear and environmental conditions,
- materials used to repair highway infrastructure
- order of procedure to lift heavy objects
- correct work methods for various activities required to maintain and repair highway infrastructure
- Emergency patching Permanent patching
- Skim Patch with Hot Mix Crack Sealing
- Hand Mowing Litter/Debris removal
- Ditch Cleaning by Hand Skim Patching with Liquid Asphalt
- Surface Treatment Hot Mix Asphalt Overlay
- Tree Trimming Brush Cutting
- Stump Grinding Pipe Repair/Placement
- Leaf Cleanup w/Machine Bituminous Concrete Curb
- Bridge Maintenance
- work requirements within a road work zone
- rules of the road for safe driving
- PM checks for small service vehicles and pickups
- Use of the following hand tools:
Standard Pliers Garden Rake
Screwdrivers Round-point shovel
Claw Hammer Ax
Socket and wenches Sledgehammer
Cold Chisel Post-hole digger
Asphalt rake Fencing Pliers
Square-point Shovel Pruners
Paint Brush, roller and other painting equipment
- Use of leaf blower to collect leaves and loose debris in piles and windrows for collection
- Mow small areas of grass using push or self propelled walk behind mower or small riding mower
- Mow areas to correct height in efficient patterns
- Use of mulching or bagging attachments depending on conditions
- Use of power rake to collect loose debris and leaves in efficient manner leaving area clean and orderly
- Use of vibrating tamper plate to compact loose soil and asphalt to proper density leaving level and smooth surface
- Use of chain saw to cut limbs and other wooden material on the ground to facilitate clean up of debris
- Safely operate SUV and pickup truck to ¾ ton
- Use measuring tape and ruler to measure distance and area
- Applying uniform coats of paint and other coatings to surfaces
EDUCATION AND TRAINING.
Education: High School Diploma, some college courses preferred, but not required.
Minimum Years of Relevant Experience: 0 - 3
Work Requirement NOTE:
It is important to understand that the following is a guideline of responsibilities and goals for this position. Of course, you may be asked to assist other team members and contribute to the business in other ways that are not outlined below. As an employee of Roy Jorgensen Associates, Inc., you have accepted the responsibility to become a key member in a large team that works together towards two common goals, the financial success of the business and the personal satisfaction of building a rewarding career.
I certify that this job description is an accurate description of the job responsibilities assigned to this position.
By signing above, I am certifying that I have read the above Position Description in detail. My direct supervisor has reviewed this with me in person and answered all my questions. I understand what is expected of me in this position. I also understand that this position description may change over time and/or may not be all inclusive. In addition to the details outlined within, I am expected to communicate with my supervisor regularly to understand what is expected of me in this position.