[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs General Construction Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
At PIC Group, Inc., our emphasis is on excellence. We recruit the strongest candidates in the power generation industry. As a global service provider, we continually seek talented individuals.
Title: Substation Engineer
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: United States
Reports to: Engineering Manager
PIC Group has an opportunity for an experienced Substation Engineer for a major design, engineering, and project management firm in the Northeast area of the country. The Substation Engineer reports to our Engineering Manager and the position requires working independently on fast paced technically complex design projects. The Substation Engineer is responsible for supporting or leading substation engineering project teams, with the development of General Arrangements for Substations, Equipment Plans, Elevations, and Sections, Control House Layouts, Grounding design, Conduit and cable design, Creation of Bills of Materials, and Cable schedules.
Please note that this is a remote position that will require periodic visits to offices and sites in Maine, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. #LIRemote
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work within a multi-discipline team to develop and/or review efficient and reliable electrical design packages for medium and high voltage substations.
• Lead Substation Physical Electrical design to develop and/or review site and equipment layouts, elevations, bus work, ground grids, lightning shielding, material lists, etc.
• Perform design studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge of physical electrical substation design.
• Coordinate design activities to maintain project schedules, budget, quality requirements to ensure successful project completion.
• Assist in site visits and station walkdowns, estimating, and attending project meetings.
• Accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including SNC-Lavalin’s policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
• Prepare specifications for material, equipment, and construction work.
• Deliver accurate and thorough electrical designs that will meet industry standards and specifications and meet prudent engineering practices.
• Review internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability.
• Coordinate design activities with other multi-discipline project team members.
• Provide construction support including resolving site queries, attending site meetings, and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects.
• Maintain complete project documentation with respect to engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information.
• Maintain good working relationships with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
• Mentor and provide guidance to developing engineers within the department.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD.
• Strong client focus and customer service.
• A high level of interpersonal communication skills, including a strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of applicable industry standards including the National Electric Code (NEC), National Electric Safety Code (NESC), and IEEE.
• Ability to perform independently and in a team environment and provide project ownership.
• Ability to travel to client sites may be required.
• Additional hours may be necessary as workload dictates.
• Travel to client sites at times is required.
• Office and work site locations require sitting, standing, and walking inside and outside.
• Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Hearing protection may be recommended and/or required in some areas.
• Ability to comply with site safety regulations for personal protective equipment.
Education / Experience:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution is required.
• 5+ years of professional experience focused on the development of substation engineering
• A Professional Engineer (PE) registration is preferred.
• Prior utility or utility consulting experience is preferred.
PIC Group, Inc. offers competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted. PIC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.