[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs General Construction Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
At PIC Group, Inc., our emphasis is on excellence. We recruit the strongest candidates in the power generation industry. As a global service provider, we continually seek talented individuals.
Title: Protection Controls Engineer
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: Albany, NY
Reports to: Engineering Manager
PIC Group has an opportunity for an experienced Protection Controls Engineer for a major design, engineering, and project management firm in the Northeast area of the country. The Protection Controls Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager and the position requires working independently on fast paced technically complex design projects. The Protection Controls Engineer is responsible for supporting or leading substation engineering project teams, with the development of one-line diagrams for Substations, relay one-line diagrams, three lines, schematics and elementaries, control house panel layouts, relay selection, SCADA design, creation of bills of materials, and cable schedules.
Please note that this is a remote position that will require periodic visits to offices and sites in Maine, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. #LIRemote
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work within a multi-discipline team to develop efficient and reliable electrical design packages for medium and high voltage substations.
• Coordinate design activities to maintain project schedules, budget, quality requirements to ensure successful project completion.
• Assist in site visits and station walkdowns, estimating, and attending project meetings.
• Accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including our client's policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
• Design electrical substation facilities including one lines, three lines, schematics and elementaries, wiring and interconnections, P&C calculations, and reports, etc.
• Prepare specifications for material, equipment, and construction work.
• Deliver accurate and thorough electrical designs that will meet industry standards and specifications and meet prudent engineering practices.
• Review internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability.
• Coordinate design activities with other multi-discipline project team members.
• Provide construction support including resolving site queries, attending site meetings, and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects.
• Maintain complete project documentation with respect to engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information.
• Maintain good working relationships with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
• Mentor and provide guidance to developing engineers within the department.
• Knowledge of modern power systems, power system protection and transmission & distribution system.
• Ability to work with IEC61850/Goose Messaging.
• Strong client focus.
• Demonstrate a high level of interpersonal communication skills, including a strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of applicable industry standards including the National Electric Code (NEC), National Electric Safety Code (NESC), and IEEE. Ability to perform independently and in a team environment and provide project ownership.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD.
• Additional hours may be necessary as workload dictates.
• Travel to client sites at times is required.
• Office and work site locations require sitting, standing, and walking inside and outside.
• Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Hearing protection may be recommended and/or required in some areas.
• Ability to comply with site safety regulations for personal protective equipment.
Education / Experience:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution is required.
• 5+ years’ experience in Power and Control electrical design is required.
• Experience with IEC61850/Goose Messaging is required.
• A Professional Engineer (PE) registration is preferred.
• Prior utility or utility consulting experience is preferred.
At PIC Group, we value our employees and believe in fair compensation that reflects their skills and contributions. The pay scale for this position is carefully determined based on the expected range of base pay, taking into consideration the specific work location. Within this range, employee pay will be determined by a combination of factors such as knowledge, skills, abilities, experience, education, and overall performance. As this job posting is available in multiple locations, the expected pay scale may vary depending on the specific geographic area.
Compensation Range per year: $100,000 - $135,000
We take pride in offering a wide range of exceptional benefits to our valued team members. When you join our team, you'll gain access to top-notch medical, vision, and dental insurance plans, ensuring you and your loved ones receive the healthcare you deserve. Your future matters to us, which is why we provide a robust 401(k) plan, helping you secure financial stability for the years ahead. Embrace a fulfilling career with a company that prioritizes your health, happiness, and growth.
Our client is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.