[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Alternative Energy Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
At PIC Group, Inc., our emphasis is on excellence. We recruit the strongest candidates in the power generation industry. As a global service provider, we continually seek talented individuals.
Title: Hydro Operations Technician
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: Sheldon, VT
Reports to: Site Manager
The Hydro Operations Technician will complete the site training program and be capable of the independent operation of assigned hydro facility equipment such as turbines, pumps, valves, gates, fans, electrical control boards and battery banks. Monitor equipment operation and performance and make the necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance. The Hydro Technician is responsible for the daily operation of assigned hydroelectric power plant facilities. Rotating, on-call responsibilities will be part of this position. Performs less complicated types of repairs and maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs all tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
Qualified on the daily checks of the hydro generating station and its associated equipment and the reporting of possible malfunctions.
Make reports to Site Supervisor related to environmental concerns.
With supervision perform preventive or corrective containment or cleanup measures in the hydroelectric plant to prevent environmental contamination.
Capable of implementing the emergency action plan associated with dams and waterways with direct supervision at required sites.
Aids in the documentation of all activities associated with the operations of maintenance of the hydro plant.
Assists with the troubleshooting, maintenance, repairs, disassembles’, and re-assembles large and complex equipment such as piping systems, gear boxes, drive mechanisms, pumps, compressors, hydraulic power and pressure units, valves, gates, trash racks, turbines, motors, and generators.
Assists in testing, adjustments, services, and maintenance on various mechanical meters and gates used in measuring capacity, flow, pressure, temperature, and velocity of liquids.
Repairs and maintains all buildings and grounds on associated properties.
Performs assigned duties in substation operation under close supervision.
Assist qualified personnel in performing switching duties associated with the isolation of station and equipment for operations and maintenance purposes.
Assists electricians when required in the function of their duties under direct supervision.
• Ability to run station cranes, hoist and other lifting equipment.
• Capable of the operation of plant vehicles and heavy equipment.
• Assists in the construction, installation and maintenance of various flashboard systems.
• Provide support in the budgeting process for the sites assigned
• Provide support for maintenance as required by site Supervisor.
• Assist with Dam Safety Inspections as directed
Working in varied outdoor environments such as all-weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces.
The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e., hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves, and high voltage protective equipment, etc.) may be required. Work with hazardous materials may also be required.
Working in proximity to high voltages and current with proper training and equipment, operating heavy equipment and rolling stock and entering confined spaces or hazardous environments may be required while often being exposed to equipment and machinery noises.
Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, operation of large valves and other tasks requiring up to 100 lbs. of pulling or turning force, and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
Eye and hand coordination are required to operate switches, pushbuttons, and other controls.
Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
All candidates will participate in the post-offer drug screening.
Education / Experience:
Successful completion of vocational or trade school specializing in mechanical trades with
four years of on the job experience in the mechanical field performing maintenance and
• Hydroelectric power plant experience is a plus but not required.
• Must possess a strong mechanical aptitude.
• Ability to read and understand, mechanical, hydraulic and civil drawings, for the use of
• Ability to use mechanical testing and measuring equipment, such as gauges, dial indicators,
• Knowledge of the use mechanical hand tools and power tools.
• Able to perform welding, burning, cutting, and grinding as required.
• Must possess a working knowledge of personal computers, mobile phones and associated
hardware and software.
• Must have excellent communications, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to work as part of a team and involve others in decisions when appropriate.
• Must possess a valid motor vehicle license.
• Must be able to travel as needed
• Safety and Health Awareness
• Ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines
• Strong attention to detail
• Willingness to work overtime when required.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.