Contract / Temp to Direct / Direct Hire: Contract
Country: United States
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Under limited supervision, performs Engineering job functions as assigned by management. Typical responsibilities are to assist and support management in engineering equipment design and development, system design, materials selection and testing, review checking and commenting on designs/drawings/data prepared by other engineers and subcontractors, and engineering studies and report preparation. The specific work assignment may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following areas, in addition to other duties as assigned.
• Design and prototyping of one-of-a-kind mechanical and machine tools and fixtures for use by field personnel in lifting, rigging, material handling, and measuring and testing.
• Specification of welding and non-destructive examination (NDE) techniques for fabrication and repair of site facilities and equipment.
• Design and repair of piping and pressure vessels and associated supporting structures.
• Analysis and assistance for mechanical matters affecting the project including simple structural evaluation, mechanical and HVAC designs and material lifting and rigging.
• Provide engineering technical support for hazardous and waste shipping containers and packaging.
• Preliminary and final specifications and designs for equipment and facility changes to improve project performance and safety.
• Inspections, assessment of hazards; and development of recommendations on mechanical issues affecting the project.
• Evaluation of operations & proposed modifications to determine compliance with engineering disciplines and standards, federal state or local statutes, and environmental regulations.
• Feasibility studies and evaluations of potential automation and technologies for application to improve project performance and safety.
• As part of an Engineering team, provide technical guidance to field project personnel.
• Assume lead role on engineering design projects as assigned.
• Maintain familiarity with current technical developments in pertinent scientific areas.
• Responsible for ensuring accuracy and completeness of all data and work produced.
• Provide technical or functional support to team members.
• Performs with tracking and trending of Design performance.
• Performs maintenance/supports design operability or engineering evaluations when necessary.
• Prepares dispositions problem reports on assigned projects.
• Performs project engineering functions involving monitoring of progress and preparation of procedures.
• Identifies and evaluates project issues and problems.
• Prepares forecasts, quality take-offs and change orders
• Conducts feasibility studies and evaluates potential technologies.
• Prepares scheduling, estimates, progress reports, meetings, procurement activities, etc., necessary to support project activities utilizing professional engineering techniques with a wide latitude for independent action and decision.
• Performs research to analyze and validate design or theory concepts.
• Subject matter expert
• Assists in training preparation and facilitation.
• Evaluates operations and proposed modifications to determine compliance with engineering disciplines and standards, federal, state or local statutes and regulations as well as project/company policy.
• Perform technical review for troubleshooting and day to day technical support for maintenance, operations or other engineering groups.
• Utilize vendor data and work with personnel from other disciplines, as required for performance of designs.
• Develops a Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) estimate
• Reviews, compiles and documents all input/outputs.
• Ensures completion of Technical Reviews, including USQD screenings, Safety Evaluations, Safety Basis changes, etc.
• Lead role for projects assigned.
• Interfaces with other technical and production organizations to compile the technical information required to prepare the documentation.
• Serves as a resource for lower level positions.
• Provides assigned technical or functional support to operations and team members.
• Performs a variety of tasks complex in nature.
• BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a welding background
• OR BS Degree in Welding Engineering with a mechanical design background
• OR an equivalent combination of a PE license in Mechanical Engineering combined with welding experience or a PE license in Welding Engineering with mechanical design experience
• Expert knowledge of applicable codes and standards
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
• Ability to obtain a DOE “L” Clearance
• Strong computer skills
For persons with disabilities: If you require assistance completing, or are unable to complete the online resume/application process, please contact:
Human Resources @ (803) 644-0070
Mon. - Fri. 9am - 4pm
237 High Gate Loop
Aiken, SC 29803
Value Added Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a drug-free work environment.
163 page view(s)
Thinking about applying for this position?
Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements indicated for the job before you apply (see user agreement). If you are qualified, then use either the email link (near top of post) or the application link (near bottom of post) to apply, whichever is provided.
Roadtechs.com notice to workers thinking about a career in nuclear power:
All nuclear power plant employees are subject to background, financial and criminal history checks before they are granted access to any nuclear power facility and these checks are repeated at regular intervals. Additionally, new hire drug and alcohol screening is mandatory and all sites perform random drug and alcohol screening.
© Copyright - Roadtechs®, LLC. All rights reserved. No reproduction of any part of this website may be sold or
distributed for commercial gain nor shall it be modified or incorporated in any other work, publication, or website.
Use of this site implies compliance with the Roadtechs User Agreement.