[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
The aftermath of severe weather, hurricanes, and winter storms can be Devastating! Come join the BHI Energy team and help make a difference!!!
This position will provide storm recovery damage assessment support to our utility clients. This is a temporary-seasonal position, employee will only work on an as needed basis. This work involves two person crews organized in teams of 10 to 15 crews (20 to 30 people) who assess damage to the power electric distribution networks after an event such as a hurricane, tropical storm or any other unexpected occurrence with extended power outage down time. When the utility requests damage assessment crews from their vendors, this position becomes active and these crews are typically the first to deploy to support getting power restored. We supply teams in Florida, Carolinas, Northeast and in the Midwest.Essential Functions:
- Be knowledgeable of primary and secondary electrical facilities including poles, primary wires, secondary wires, secondary services, insulators, transformers, fuses, reclosers, regulators, and other electrical distribution equipment.
- Be knowledgeable of the applicable electric distribution safety rules.
- Understand and can identify the difference between electrical, cable and telephone facilities/assets.
- Possess the ability to read and follow circuit maps, including understanding the symbols for the various types of electrical equipment.
- Understand crew types and their capabilities to conduct repairs.
- Be fit for duty and sufficiently fit to be able to walk in the terrain and environmental conditions resulting from the event. The terrain conditions may include, but are not limited to, off road rural areas in swampy or overgrown right of ways, and mountainous terrain.
- Be certified via a certification process as approved by BHI Energy.
Typical Damage Assessor Responsibilities:
- Locate, gather, assess, and report quality and thorough information in the form and format as designated by BHI Energy's client protocols.
- Utilize circuit maps or other data provided by our client to patrol (walk/drive), in a safe manner, all assigned areas (circuits, line segments, geographic areas, etc.).
- Identify all apparent damage to electrical facilities in the assigned area and document in the form and format as determined by our client.
As an example, but not limited to:
- Downed / low lines
- Broken, leaning, or otherwise damaged poles
- Broken cross arms
- Blown fuses
- Damaged or leaking equipment (transformers, reclosers, arrestors, etc.)
- Tree limb removal or other vegetation management needs.
- Determine and report the crew types needed to perform restoration services.
- Identify, secure, and immediately report any unsafe areas such as downed lines or other facilities.
- Communicate information in a timely and clear manner to Our client to support efficient restoration efforts.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Interpret Circuit Maps - Have ability to read and follow distribution circuit maps noting facilities needing repair.
- Office Suite Software -- Microsoft Office
- Time Management -- Managing one's own time.
- Judgment and Decision Making -- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring -- Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- English Language -- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be physically capable of walking out power line right of ways under various weather and terrain conditions. Weather conditions may include snow, ice, or high heat/humidity. The terrain conditions may include, but are not limited to, off road rural areas in swampy or overgrown right of ways, or mountainous terrain. Travel and long work hours up to 16 hours per day may by required.
Excellent opportunity to earn some extra cash$$. Compensation will vary by project.
High School Diploma/ College Degree- can be offset with Electrical Utility Experience. Damage Assessing; power lines and recognizing hazards: 1 year. The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral. The successful candidate must be able to effectively work with a variety of personnel including external clients, customer representatives, field personnel and inter l personnel. Must actively demonstrate the BHI Energy company values and support the BHI Ethics, Safety and Standards. Must be able to pass all background and screening requirements for the position, to include drug and/or alcohol screening. Must possess valid driver's license. Some general PPE required: Hard hat for overhead impact or electrical hazards, eye protections with side shields, EH rated boots.
Opportunities throughout the Southeastern, Mid-Atlantic, and Northeast regions..