[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
DescriptionExelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!Exelon Generation is hiring a class of Equipment Operators at Nine Mile Point Generating Station in Oswego, NY Start date is June 8, 2021Starting hourly rate: $33.86The Equipment Operator is an entry-level hands-on position within the Operations job family and leads to becoming a licensed Reactor Operator and Senior Reactor Operator. An SRO license can lead to the highest levels of the Nuclear industry.Individuals who are selected to fill these vacancies will enter one year of initial non-licensed operator training. Once successfully completed, the candidate will assume shift duties on an operations team. This is a shift work position, which requires mandatory rotating day and night shifts.The qualified candidate will be responsible for the following:Regularly and customarily is responsible for the monitoring, control and operation of nuclear station equipment for the control room. This includes the following, together with other related and incidental work.
1. Starts, stops, controls and monitors nuclear reactor and auxiliary reactor systems, as required for plant operations, including taking manual control of equipment as conditions warrant. Starts, stops, controls and monitors steam turbine, main generator and auxiliary turbine generating equipment as required to maintain maximum station capability, including taking manual control of equipment as conditions warrant.
2. As directed, starts, stops, adjusts, tests and operates pumps, valves, switchgear, controls and other components of systems.
3. Monitors recorders and indicators within the control room for the nuclear and turbine generator systems for operation within prescribed limits. Obtains overview data and performs various calculations as required by procedure.
4. Responds to plant indicators and alarms in accordance with plant procedures including identifying those parameters that are indicative of an emergency condition and initiating designated actions.
5. Performs operations in accordance with administrative procedures and NRC license including shift turnovers, log maintenance, etc.
6. Responds to and takes action as required in mitigating consequences of plant transient. Required to be thoroughly familiar with entry conditions and cautions for the emergency operating procedure and the basis of each step in the procedures. Required to be familiar with the abnormal operating event procedures and system diagnostic and restoration procedures.
7. Participates as a member of station fire brigade and will be required to function as fire brigade leader.
8. Assists shift supervision in the performance of any and all of the duties involved in directing and coordinating the actions of the other personnel assigned to assist in operation of the station.
9. Responsible to identify and correct deficient conditions through the use of the station Corrective Action program, initiating action requests for material condition issues and submitting Procedure change requests.
10. Initiates Emergency Plan in accordance with implementing procedure.
11. Implements tagging and system out-of-service requests, including directing others to realign valves, rack out breakers and hang tags.
12. During refueling of the reactor, manipulates controls, drives, etc. and observes nuclear and radiation monitoring instruments in accordance with procedural controls. May be required to assist in refueling.
13. Operates station communications equipment as required.Individuals who are selected to fill these vacancies will enter one year of initial non-licensed operator training. Once successfully completed, the candidate will assume shift duties on an operations team. This is a shift work position.Preference for applicants who view this entry-level position as an opportunity to progress into license training for a Reactor Operator or a Senior Reactor Operator role.
Candidates must possess one of the following:HS Diploma/GED and 2 years of Power Plant Operator experience, of which one year must be in a Nuclear facility
ORA Bachelors of Science degree in engineering, engineering technology, or related science program
ORAn Associates of Science degree in engineering, engineering technology or related science program or equivalency*
*Equivalency for the Associate of Science degree is established by meeting the criteria below:43 credit hours of post secondary education of which 75% (at least 8 courses or 32 hours) is advanced math, physics, chemistry and/or engineering/engineering technology. Transcripts will be required to verify coursework.OR Documented training and experience applicable to power generation operating experience while a member of the Nuclear Navy program.
ORExperience in a non-generating nuclear power facility (e.g. military or DOE facility) may credit 0.5 years for each year of experience.
TESTING REQUIREMENTS:- Candidates must pass the Plant Operator Selection System (POSS)
- Score satisfactorily on the Basic Math and Science Test(BMST)
-Candidate must be able to obtain unescorted access to a nuclear facility as a member of a critical group.* Please note that naval candidates will need to provide occupation/training awards history, DD214 and the fitness and counseling evaluations with social security numbers and medical documentation removed.Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.VEVRAA Federal Contractor