[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Probabilistic Risk Assessment Engineer 4 (Thermal Hydraulics)
This recruitment is for a contract position starting as soon as possible and expected to continue on a near 40 hour/week basis through the end of 2021. Onboarding and future work will be done remotely, with travel to Corvallis, OR office as needed.
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Supervisor, Probabilistic Risk Assessment, this role is considered a senior-level engineer in the area of probabilistic risk assessment (PRA) and/or severe accident analysis experienced in performing PRA analyses on commercial nuclear power plants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform severe accident engineering calculations using industry-standard methods and simulation tools (e.g., MELCOR, RELAP5).
• Apply reactor thermal hydraulic concepts to support design and licensing of the NuScale small modular nuclear reactor.
• Effectively communicate with other technical and non-technical disciplines, customers, and regulators; should understand the uses and limitations CDF, LRF, and LERF as risk metrics.
• Mentor and train junior engineers.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
• Education: A minimum of a B.S. degree in engineering or physical science from a four year accredited college or university is required. An advanced degree in engineering is preferred.
• Experience: A minimum of 8 years of full-time, progressively responsible experience in probabilistic risk assessment and/or severe accident analysis is required, preferably on commercial nuclear power plants. Must be able to demonstrate in-depth understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theories. Demonstrated writing and presentation skills. Viable candidates will have verifiable technical writing skills and showcase strong communication with computer, presentation and interpersonal. Exceptional organization skills and abilities to manage complex projects with multiple work phases is also required.
• Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
• Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
• Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
• Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
• Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
• Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
• Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization, setting expectations and requirements and achieving accountability of supervised personnel. Leads consensus by involving all stakeholders, facilitating their understanding of differences, agreeing on requirements and constraints, and developing the best solution.
• Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
• Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
• The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
Empyrean Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other protected status.