[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Nuclear Decommissioning Electrical Engineer 3 (Temporary Power Supply Design)
Location: Remote with occasional trips to Charlotte NC; eventual job is in Carlton, WI
Job Type: Direct Hire
Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as power distribution systems, power and instrumentation panels, programmable logic control systems (PLCs), instrumentation and interlock logic circuits. Conversant in the selection of commercially available equipment, which may include PLCs, variable-frequency drives (VFDs), transformers, lighting and viewing systems. May be involved in operation, application, installation and/or repair of Controls, Electrical & Instrumentation (CE&I) systems.
This job involves heavy electrical power design. Specifically, the design of a temporary power supply in order to disable all existing sources of power. The engineer will work with the Mechanical Engineer to determine what electrical requirements will be needed inside containment area of the plant and then in designing the temporary power supply.
• Supports installation and testing of site systems and components.
• Performs a variety of engineering calculations using traditional engineering methods to document compliance with project and code requirements, which may include lighting, volt drop, conductor sizing and panel heat generation calculations.
• Generates, and is fully conversant with wiring diagrams, single line drawings, loop diagrams, control architectural drawings/specifications, electrical and instrumentation specifications, data sheets and control philosophy documents.
• Assists in the preparation and approval of design documents and plant modifications, including supervision of designers in document development in accordance with approved procedures, processes and design requirements.
• Provides technical expertise and guidance to develop, manage and implement engineering analysis, activities and programs to identify and resolve equipment and system problems.
• Familiar with national codes and standards appropriate to the CE&I Engineering discipline.
• Ensures relevant design criteria, specifications, practices, procedures and codes and site design and safety and licensing basis are used in preparation of design media.
• Interfaces with staff, within the team and supporting subcontractors to ensure work is being completed in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that safety is an integral element embodied in equipment design and specification.
• Works in multi-discipline teams on project-based work and ensures integration of design across multiple disciplines.
• Performs checking to ensure accuracy of design media in accordance with company policies and procedures and client expectations.
• Works on a timeline, ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of work and initiates corrective measures to overcome delays.
• Understands, complies and is responsible for working to environmental health and safety policies and procedures and attends meetings as required. Provides supervision and leadership to members of the design team, commensurate with seniority.
• Recommends new equipment, concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify design, reduce costs, correct design flaws, or to comply with changes in client requirements, codes or regulations.
• Performs independent research, reviews, studies and analyses in support of plant changes and design modifications.
• Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for engineering services to internal and external clients and coordinates work assignments to meet project-established schedules and budgets.
• Relies on experience and judgment.
• Works under limited supervision.
• Significant creativity and latitude is expected.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor's degree required in electrical engineering or related technical degree or equivalent
• None required
• Professional Engineering License preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of experience
• Prior temporary power supply experience desired
• Experience with the use of Smart Plant Instrumentation
REQUIRED AND DESIRED SKILLS
• Strong communication skills
• Intermediate knowledge of Controls, Electrical & Instrumentation (CE&I) Systems design software and Microsoft Office
• Working knowledge of functional discipline and its practical application
• Working knowledge of industry codes and regulations
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Ability to lift, carry, push, pull up to 50 pounds; handle, grip, and reach above or below shoulder
• Ability to use hands and feet to accomplish tasks as assigned
• Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, bend/stoop, crouch, squat/kneel, crawl, twist at the waist and balance
• Ability to effectively communicate; pass audiogram in hearing conservation program as required by location
• Ability to see close and distance; basic colors/shades
• Ability to work inside an office, outside and in extreme temperatures
• Ability to work on slippery/uneven walking surfaces
• Ability to work alone, work with others, and interact with the public
• Ability to perform under deadline pressure; drive a vehicle and travel overnight
Empyrean Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other protected status.