[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Identifies and/or leads activities within an engineering discipline in support of facility design, operation and maintenance. Applies broad and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in the preparation of complex engineering analyses. Performs all aspects of work in engineering operations and coordinates inter-disciplinary activities. Performs conventional and unique structural design and analysis. Identifies system integration activities within and across disciplines. Integrates construction and project activities. Lead projects and supervise the work of others. Able to work independently and as part of a team, utilizes engineering technology to accomplish work. Identifies and manages work process improvement to meet customer needs.
Position typically requires a baccalaureate degree in engineering from an accredited college or university and, practical work experience to the degree necessary to perform the responsibilities outlined above.
This position may be subject to DOE Order 426.2, Personnel Selection, Training, and Qualification Requirements for DOE Nuclear Facilities. This DOE Order establishes entry-level requirements to ensure employees in the positions can successfully perform the requirements of the job.
Mechanical Design Engineer 4
You will serve on LANL design teams assessing, maintaining, and upgrading existing facilities and infrastructure at LANL. Specific tasks include mentoring and leading junior engineers and self-producing design package documents; providing quality assurance reviews of other designers work products; interfacing and coordinating with project stakeholders; scoping and estimating design effort; troubleshooting field issues and providing technical engineering judgement. As a senior engineer you will be required to provide and promote technical leadership, quality, and safety values, to co-workers, project stakeholders, external auditors, vendors, construction companies, and subcontractors. Both HVAC and plumbing systems and /or systems infrastructure.
• Expert design package production experience in commercial and /or industrial facilities design.
• Expert design package production experience in building automation systems.
• Expert application of building codes, standards and green initiatives to facilities design.
• Experience leading a design team and / or organization.
• Expert ability in preparing calculations, applications of engineering methods, and application of technology aided engineering tools to facility and operations-based engineering challenges.
• Expert ability to apply engineering judgement to facility and operations-based engineering challenges.
• Broad knowledge and application of industry, regulatory, or Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) complex codes, standards, and criteria pertinent to the particular engineering discipline.
• Expert knowledge of engineering work planning, budgeting and design coordination.
• Regular coaching and mentoring of junior engineers.
• Ability to scope a project and produce an estimate of engineering effort.
• Ability to communicate well, both written and verbally.
• Expert ability to support construction execution, including timely review of submittals, requests for information, design changes, aid in non-conformance issues, validation of commissioning documentation and produce accurate as-built documents.
• Leads in setting an example of how to interact with other discipline engineering teams to develop resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
• Contributes to the development of organizational goals and objectives.
• Ability to provide self-direction on their own goals and objectives.
• Leadership in the ability to collaboratively problem solve, show commitment, and function well in a team environment.