[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Nuclear Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Performs routine construction engineering assignments at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). Requires a full working knowledge of construction engineering practices and the exercise of professional judgment within the framework of established guidelines. May have leadership responsibility for less experienced construction engineers. May be specializing in a single field or area, or assuming a lead role in a specific segment of a construction project.
Position typically requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering or scientific discipline or specialized courses in engineering disciplines, and/or 8 years actual work experience and certifications leading to the thorough understanding of the knowledge described above. At this level, post graduate course work may be desirable. The Plutonium Infrastructure Engineering Division of Los Alamos National Laboratory develops, maintains, and applies a diverse set of engineering capabilities to provide innovative engineering solutions in support of the Laboratory's Plutonium Facility. This position supports the Field Engineering Group. This group is responsible for implementing the Conduct of Engineering (COE) program on Division projects. The program elements include processes, standards, training, and qualifications that are generally applicable throughout the life cycle of a facility. They exist to effectively manage risks and satisfy customer requirements in a safe, secure, cost effective, and environmentally responsible manner.
The Field Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the technical aspects of construction and maintenance projects are executed in full conformance with the Approved Project Documents by monitoring facility maintenance and construction activities. This is accomplished by providing input during scoping, design, execution, and project closeout to ensure baseline documents are accurate, design documents are adhered to, and as-built configurations are verified. Field Engineers expedite project execution by identifying issues, coordinating technical solutions, and providing timely guidance to the constructor through approved procedures.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Demonstrated adept knowledge of construction engineering principles.
Demonstrated expertise in reading and understanding engineering design documents, drawings, and specifications to ensure their completeness and constructability.
Expert experience interpreting construction industry specifications, construction means and methods, and national construction codes and standards.
Proven ability to effectively communicate engineering solutions both verbally and in writing for management, customers, peers, and craft personnel.
Demonstrated proficiency in conducting field verifications of construction work to oversee, facilitate, and enforce compliance with drawings, specifications, national codes and standards.
Demonstrated proficiency in collaborative problem solving to resolve facility and infrastructure engineering issues in the field as the liaison between design engineers and the constructor.
Training/Certifications: Registered Engineer in Training (EIT) or licensed Professional Engineer (PE) is preferred.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering Technology, Science, Math or related degree from an accredited institution and 8 years related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation.
· Adept organizational skills for field engineering oversight and statusing of multiple simultaneous construction projects.
· Aptitude for independently leading others in your field in the execution of their duties.
· Experienced in working independently on tasks ranging in complexity.
· Aptitude for mentoring junior Construction Engineers and Engineering Technologists in their design review, pre-construction coordination, and construction oversite activities.
· Advanced design and/or construction experience in nuclear, accelerator, laboratory, or industrial facility operations.
· Experience reviewing engineering submittals for compliance with engineering drawings and specifications.
· Adept knowledge of: construction work planning and control methods; facility maintenance and installation techniques and construction principles and procedures, design guides, appropriate standards, and administrative practices.
· Skilled at reviewing field material purchase requisitions through material take-off, including the review of estimated quantities and ensuring compliance with design specifications and drawings.
Adept understanding of engineering and construction techniques, applications of engineering and construction methods.