[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs PetroChem / Fossil / OffShore Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
This is a senior level control systems and instrumentation engineer position. The position requires strong technical ability to both perform engineering tasks and lead others, ability to work independently with minimal guidance, strong working knowledge and understanding of stage-gated industrial projects, and strong communication skills in written, spoken, and personal formats. Our senior engineers are typically involved in front-end project development, as well as guiding designers and younger engineers in detailed design phases. On all projects, the senior or lead engineer is ultimately responsible for the performance of his/her team regarding scope, schedule, budget, and quality of our products.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
* Provide SME-level instrument engineering for small to large capital and maintenance projects
* Develop and establish scope for all phases of projects and produce project plans and deliverable lists
* Coordinate with project team to develop basic to complex schedules
* Develop project P&IDs
* Develop procurement specifications, documentation, data sheets, and bid tabulations
* Perform detailed vendor document reviews
* Establish engineering budgets,
* Develop basic to complex Total Installed Cost (TIC) estimate Material Take-Offs (MTO)
* Work within an engineering budget, forecast work, manage scope and budget
* Develop definition and detailed specifications and construction packages
* Write detailed construction scope of work documents for basic to complex projects
* Perform Factory and Site Acceptance tests (FAT/SAT) on vendor equipment. Travel may be required.
* Perform quality checks on onesí own work, as well as independent checks for co-workers
* Ensure projects and work processes adhere to Anvilís Project Services Quality System (PSQS) for oneís own work as well as a small team
* Perform work with minimal supervision and guidance
* Oversee and direct a small team of mid and junior level engineers and designers; guide and direct design team in development of construction work packages
* Work with other technical resource groups and project management to meet the requirements of a given project
* Develop and foster working relationships with vendor and client representatives
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES - TECHNICAL
* Read and develop basic to complex Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
* As-build control and instrument systems in the field, producing accurate markups of documents and drawings
* Specify and size instrumentation in all applications of industrial control: flow, pressure, level, temperature
* Able to recommend specific solutions for instrumentation and control items in difficult or unique services
* Specify and size control valves, pressure safety valves (PSVs) and regulators: self-contained, pneumatic and motor-operated, sliding stem and rotary
* Specify and design installation of analyzers for various purposes, both in-situ and extractive
* Understand and apply material and alloy considerations for instruments in various industrial process media
* Specify and design infrastructure for industrial communication and control networks
* Specify and design wiring, conduit, and cable tray methods for NEC-hazardous classified areas
* Prepare detailed design of projects in compliance with governing codes, regulations, and client standards
* Interpret and design ladder logic, both for hardwired relay systems and software
* Integrate control strategies and wiring with electrical motor controls related to motor starters, VFDs, electrical safety relays, electrical monitoring networks, etc.
* Specify HMI, PLC, and DCS hardware and wiring; working knowledge of PLC and DCS HMI design, point configuration, and control types
* Understand physical and soft I/O and point types, create IO lists for project scope, and review loop drawings
* Specify and review design for control panel layout, wiring, BOM, etc.in concert with the Design group.
* Create test plans and perform Factory and Site Acceptance Tests; review and approve vendor FAT/SAT plans
* Create high-level and detailed control design and configuration documents, such as Control Narratives, Cause & Effects diagrams, Logic diagrams, and block diagrams.
* Understand and participate in Process Hazard Assessments (PHAs) and Layer of Protection Analyses (LOPA)
* Working knowledge of industrial equipment (pumps, vessels, heaters, flares, etc) and respective considerations for instrument design
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES - OTHER
* Familiar with and able to work within stage-gated project processes and requirements
* Prioritize work for self and a small team
* Perform effectively in a team environment, both in-person and remotely
* Strong communication and organizational skills
* Able to develop engineering and design budgets and schedules and execute them
* Experience developing construction packages for small to medium projects ($1MM to $30MM TIC)
* Able to point out and provide solutions for drawing consistency, quality, and presentation errors in deliverables.
* Highly detail oriented with a strong, self-driven work ethic
* Able to identify areas of personal technical strengths and weaknesses, ask for help when needed, and quickly learn new responsibilities
* Able to evaluate equipment in the field, including climbing ladders, flights of stairs, etc.
* Able to travel to remote work sites on occasion
* Strong computer skills - Microsoft Applications
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Basic working knowledge of INtools (SPI)
* Specify custody transfer flowmeters
* Extensive experience in front-end project development (FEL 1-2)
* Working knowledge and basic understanding of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS)
* Basic DCS and/or PLC programming experience
* Working knowledge of specialty instrumentation and control for rotating equipment
* Experience working on-site at an industrial facility in maintenance, reliability, or projects groups
* Ability and desire to mentor young engineers and designers
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
* B.S. in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical or Control Systems Engineering - required
* 8-25 years of professional experience within the oil and gas or related industry - required
* P.E. or Prof. Eng. in Control Systems Engineering - strongly preferred
* ISA or TUV certification in Functional Safety - strongly preferred
* Able to sit/stand, type, and perform computer work for long periods of time.
* Frequent use of hands/fingers for computer entry and answering phones.
* Able to perform occasional bending, lifting, and reaching.
* Must be able to lift 15 lbs if necessary.
* Able to work in heavy industrial facilities: climb ladders, work off elevated surfaces, and walk over uneven surfaces while wearing required PPE
Anvil Corp is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply.
At Anvil, our employees are part of a company with a long-standing reputation for excellence in the engineering industry. We believe that our greatest strength is our people and their potential. Thatís why we support our employees with great benefits, a strong work-life balance, training, mentorships, and hands-on experience at client sites. At Anvil, you get to be part of a larger family. We look forward to meeting you!