[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Shipyard / Marine Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Requirements For Sheet Metal Worker Position:
Sheet Metal Worker Experience:
Four years commercial/naval sheet metal experience as a first class Sheet Metal Worker in the installation of foundations, ventilation, bulkheads, shipboard furniture and sheet metal fabrication shop work.
1. Ability to comprehend complex ventilation assembly drawings, blueprints, and sketches to include weld symbols, material types, datum and reference lines.
2. Ability to comprehend fractional and decimal dimensions as with the use of a ruler.
3. Ability to layoff piece parts for fabrication and assembly.
4. Ability to assemble piece parts in accordance with specifications in a quality manner.
5. Experience working in a physically demanding environment.
6. Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
7. Experience using small hand tools (electric drills, grinders, rivet guns), and shop equipment (drill press, press break, shears etc.).
8. Carbon Steel Fillet Welding (512)
Fillet Welding– single-pass.
1. Rigger/Material Handling
2. Mobile Equipment (JLG, Scissor Lift, etc.)
3. MIG/TIG Welding.
4. Burning-Oxygen/Propane Burning Torch.
All Sheet Metal Workers will be required to pass a single-pass Fillet Welder Qualification test, using the Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)(Stick) Process upon reporting for the first day of work. Test will consist of both Vertical Up (3F) and Overhead (4F) positions with a Single-pass Fillet. Each pass shall have at least one stop and start within the weld length.
The Welding School will administer the following tests:
A. Single-pass Fillet Weld consisting of:
• One (1) hour practice
• One (1) hour Vertical test
• One (1) hour Overhead test
Prior to performing work at Newport News all Sheet Metal Workers must successfully pass, without training, the above welding tests at the Newport News welding school.
**Prior to employment, all new hire candidates must pass a background check and hair follicle drug test.