[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Shipyard / Marine Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
--Researches, develops, designs, and tests electrical components, equipment, systems, and networks.
--Designs electrical equipment, facilities, components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, and domestic purposes.
1. Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree and 2 years’ experience OR Master’s degree and 0 years’ experience OR PDP apprentice certificate and 1 year of engineering experience. Newport News Shipbuilding requires a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering from an ABET accredited program.
2. Preferred Qualifications:
This position requires frequent interaction with government representatives, naval personnel, and various engineering and technical experts.
• Design, implement and improve electrical equipment, facilities, components, and systems on naval vessels. This includes switchgear, transformers, and power distribution from 15 KV down.
• Review and recommend designs and specifications in support of current and future projects.
• Ability to develop and maintain standards and specifications for electrical equipment.
• Ability to develop solutions to equipment performance issues as the cognizant engineer.
• Ability to troubleshoot software/hardware issues
• Experience with design/operations of electrical transmission, distribution, or generation
• Experience with PLC programing
• Ability to read, analyze and design electrical schematics
• Ability to write technical documents clearly and accurately
• Experience writing white papers and industry publications
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative
• Shipboard experience in operation and maintenance of Navy Systems
• Demonstrated the ability to come up to speed quickly on a new project and balance multiple tasks
• Strong technical experience with coordinating electrical engineering and design activities.​
3. Experience with Medium or High Voltage Power. Experience with programming (PLCs, relays, microcontrollers, etc.). Experience writing highly detailed and technical letters, papers, or reports associated with electrical engineering topics.
4. Confidential clearance required. (Clearance will be verified.)
5. Travel will be required, less than 10%. Driving will not be required.
6. This position has an opportunity for part time telework.
7. US Citizenship