[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Electric Transmission and Distribution Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
DNJP8153 - HYDRO TURBINE GENERATER SPECIALIST - SALEM, SC - 12 MONTHS - NO PD
Primary duties are to provide mechanical engineering support for the Duke hydro fleet. Assignments will include support for capital betterment and select O&M projects. Primary discipline area is mechanical with an emphasis on hydraulic turbines and associated mechanical support systems. This role is for a Mechanical Hydraulic Turbine SME. Successful candidate will model Environmental, Health, and Safety principles, focus on unit availability and reliability, develop simple engineering solutions to complex problems, and follow all company policies and procedures.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· General mechanical engineering support to hydroelectric systems: hydraulic turbines, valves and gates, bearings and seals, hoists, cranes, water systems, air systems, and other equipment. Assignments will involve engineering analysis/design/specification for systems and equipment typical of hydroelectric facilities: including hydraulic turbines, pumps, valves, headgates, floodgates, etc.
· Providing technical expertise, field support, and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems with equipment and systems above.
· Preparation of thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches.
· Interface with OEM vendors to resolve field and design issues will be necessary including specifying material and discussion of design details with specifying scopes of work. Experience with unit alignment and analysis of alignment data. Experience with hydraulic machine overhauls and refurbishment including turbine replacements and evaluation / specification of bearing repair.
· Engineering support such as analysis of operational events and support for unit outages.
· Inspections of power plant systems and facilities. Identify safety, maintenance, and/or operational needs. Development of recommendations and plans for repairs. Support development of long range plans for equipment and systems, including budget planning for maintenance and replacements.
· Development of instructions/procedures related to equipment installation, checkout, and operation.
· For assigned projects, assist in development of scope documents, cost estimates, schedules, and cost / benefit documentation.
· Assistance in, or lead, root cause and apparent cause investigations.
· Development of positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities.
· Maintenance of accurate records and files.
· Support of company's goals and representation of the company positively and professionally.
· Contribution to a work environment that ensures Safe Work Practices and Procedures are observed. Utilization of Human Performance Improvement Tools.
For the portions of projects that must be performed by equipment vendors or contractors, duties may include developing bid specifications, working with purchasing agents, project managers, and project engineers to evaluate potential bidders, evaluations of bids and proposals, drawing review, schedule monitoring, review of contractor's specifications, calculations, and drawings.
Visiting vendor factories to inspect equipment and witness testing.
· Office environment with frequent site visits to hydroelectric facilities. Normal working hours are 7:30 AM till 4:30 PM Monday - Friday.
· Visits to site could result in exposure to varied temperatures, confined spaces and heights, noise, working around heavy machinery and pressurized/energized equipment.
· Work assignments will require the ability to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, push, pull, and climb (requiring the use of a safety harness).
· Travel on and off the Duke Energy System which may occasionally require overnight stay.
· Overtime and weekend work as required to support work assignments.
· 15 years discipline experience and unique SME skills.
· Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
· Understanding of basic engineering theories and principles.
· Understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
· Experience and demonstrated written and oral communications skills, including the ability to present information, facilitate meetings and provide direction to others.