[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Electric Transmission and Distribution Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Reports To: Field Survey Supervisor
The Survey Technician provides survey support to the Designers and Technicians associated with the West Palm Beach Storm Hardening Project in Florida. Under the direct supervision of the Field Survey Supervisor the Survey Technician will collect survey data from distribution power lines and poles and related equipment. The incumbent takes essential pictures that capture exact pole framing, conductor size and visual details of other pole-related equipment. This data is then processed and stored for use by the project Designers.
- Reads GIS maps and manipulates pole placement and numbering
- Understands and uses detailed distribution maps provided by client and GIS group
- Utilizes a computer tablet and related applications to survey poles for correct framing, conductor sizes and other related equipment
- Takes site pictures based on BHI Energy standards and procedures
- Collects data using range finders, measuring wheels, communication sticks, multimeters, and other field equipment
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes vehicle inspection checklists and returns them to the responsible administrative assistant on a daily basis
- Places cones, beacon, and other safety measures around vehicles as part of site safety
- Completes a site safety check and safety pre job briefing to include all personnel at the site
- Completes a ride-out checklist
Supports the West Palm Beach office by placing poles in a GIS map where they do not exist at the site and/or surveying additional poles if they exist at the site but not on the survey. Prioritizes own work based on direction of Field Survey Supervisor. Exercises minimal judgement within defined procedures to determine appropriate action. Assesses the scope of assigned projects, collects data and executes duties.
The Survey Technician communicates with Supervisors, Mappers, and Designers.
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY:
Works on tasks of low complexity where judgement requires little independent judgment and makes routine recommendations. Receives detailed instructions on routine work and on new assignments.
- Microsoft Excel - Highly proficient in developing spreadsheets, calculations and proposal workbooks.
- Data base user interface and query software - Desktop publishing software - Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign; Microsoft Publisher;
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Power Point - Develop presentations for client meetings and proposals
- Data base user interface and query software -- Data entry software ; Microsoft Access ; Relational database software
- Office suite software -- Microsoft Office
- English Language -- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management -- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge and experience with B2W project management tool, is desired.
- Knowledge and experience with Sales Force and Power BI tools, is desired
- P6 Scheduling experience, is highly desired
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time developing computer products, planning, scheduling and generating reports. The employee will spend the majority of their time in an office environment as well as interfacing with both internal BHI employees and client employees.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have a High School Diploma or GED. Previous electrical experience preferred. Knowledge of and/or expertise in field work techniques and data collection. Able to create and read detailed distribution maps using GIS software, as well as take detailed field notes for data collection and transfer the data to the computer. Experience with GPS to document features, work locations, and transects. Able to use a Tablet/PC and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Adobe Pro. Able to write work summary reports using Microsoft Word. Able to take pictures of poles and identify framing and equipment on the poles. Experience with cameras and a range finder. Ability to represent BHI Energy in a professional manner. Must possess a valid driver's license and maintain it throughout the duration of employment. Ability to work in a team environment with a high attention to safety guidelines. Must be able to work extended periods of time on a computer. Ability to focus on quality and attention to detail, work independently and think analytically. Possess excellent oral and written communication skills