[ Back ] [ The Roadtechs Electric Transmission and Distribution Job Board ] [ Help ] [Edit ] [Mark Position Closed ]
Start date is October
Duration is one year with possible extensions.
This position will serve as a Subject Matter Expert for the integration and development of standards of DR (Distributed Resource or DER) generation facilities on the Energy Customer Delivery System within the Customer Delivery Operational and Automation Standards team. The incumbent would work with a group of SMEs within DR CD OAS peer sub team to develop protection, control, automation, and integration standards and provide application guidance for the client and 3rd party DR facilities connecting to the grid. The incumbent would also partner with SMEs within the team and CD to support integration of Microgrids/Defined Control Areas from the DR Generation integration perspective. The incumbent would also support transient electrical modeling and hardware in the loop testing development for protection and control settings for the DR integration work.
• Must have obtained Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program
• A Master's degree in Engineering will be considered in lieu of the B.S. Engineering degree
• Four (4) years related work experience
Additional Desired Qualifications
• Experience developing, building, and/or specifying and implementing protective relay settings and templates
• Familiarity with/ability to utilize mathematical models related to sequence components for protection and grounding transformer implementation
• Monitoring, information exchange, and control interface design
• Power flow analysis including black start
• Fault analysis
• Relay test set operation including COMTRADE simulations/playback
• Experience with Integration of power plant, distributed resources, or major industrial/commercial/government customer load facilities
• Experience with SCADA control protocols, such as DNP, MODBUS
• IEC 61850 GOOSE, including testing systems utilizing this layer 2 protocol
• Familiarity with communication control concepts
• Familiarity with IEEE 1547 standards series
• Experience developing standards or application documents for major projects
• Application engineering/Major Project experience
• Distribution capacity planning experience
• Distribution field engineering experience
• Preferred PE certification or ability to obtain PE certification
• Software: CYME, PSCAD, Mathcad, Simulink or other modeling software
• Valid driver's license
Engineer is responsible for applying critical thought and providing technical solutions for all design issues of a Protection and Control nature related to the Transmission, Distribution and Generation system. This position provides technical direction in determining the feasibility, cost, and design of major capital and maintenance projects. The Senior engineer is expected to work collaboratively with the appropriate groups/individuals across the enterprise to develop and implement technical solutions that support the objectives of the Transmission Department. The position will often be called upon to support field relay technicians in troubleshooting emergent issues and should be able to respond calmly and professionally in high stress situations. Since this position has a critical role in applying the technical direction and philosophy of the Department, the senior engineer should demonstrate a high level of technical competence in applications including voltages from 13kV to 500kV and will include all manner of protection and control schemes. The position will be involved with and responsible for engineering designs, relay protection schemes, adherence to standards, standards development, project scopes, project estimates, designs and quality reviews. The successful candidate should be capable of providing a high level of technical competence in the following areas: protection and control design, research and development to support new standards development, and troubleshooting. Competence in the following professional skills is also paramount for the successful candidate: peer leadership, oral communication skills, written communication skills, collaboration across functions and forge consensus among a diverse group, and the capacity to represent the organization in various forums.
Responsibilities for Relay Design Engineer: Protective relay project design and coordination, Preparation of relay and control functional one-lines, AC & DC elementary drawings and wiring diagrams -Preparation and review of relay panel arrangements and control enclosure layouts. Preparation of written relay philosophy and functional description documents of protection and control schemes. Research and prepare technical specifications for electrical protection and control equipment. Interpretation of vendor documents and drawings. Review and approve vendor drawings and technical specifications for new equipment. Provide guidance to the project design team during scope development and design process. Provide construction coordination and support with field personnel -Incorporation of new relays in the application of protective schemes. Support Engineering team to accomplish unit goals and objectives. Occasionally support department in emergency restoration efforts as needed. Expected to be capable of handling multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting expected deadlines. Communicate with vendors for evaluation of new products and support of existing equipment
Required Qualifications Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited program and state registration as a Professional Engineer. A Master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B.S. engineering degree. 5-7 years engineering experience required.
Preferred Qualifications Skilled in principles of project management. Experience in the electric utility industry. Experience in the production and development of protection and control design packages for construction in the transmission, distribution and generation electric utility systems.